The changing climate brings new challenges for all of the construction Industry and as Engineers we need to factor these ongoing issues into our designs. Sustainability isn’t just about emissions; it covers many things. Understanding it better is a good way to start making a real difference.
So what is sustainability?
Sustainability refers to practices and actions that aim to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
It involves finding a balance between economic, social, and environmental considerations to ensure long-term well-being for both people and the planet. This often includes responsible resource use, minimizing waste, protecting ecosystems, and promoting equitable and lasting solutions.
How can we help with sustainability?
Here are Jackson Purdue Lever we believe we play a vital role in promoting sustainability through various ways:
- Designing Sustainable Infrastructure: We need to design infrastructure projects with a focus on minimizing environmental impact. We must integrate energy-efficient technologies, materials with lower carbon footprints, and innovative solutions to reduce resource consumption and emissions.
- Renewable Energy Integration: We can at the clients request design systems that harness renewable energy sources. This reduces reliance on fossil fuels and decreases greenhouse gas emissions.
- Efficient Resource Management: optimising our resource use to minimize waste and improve efficiency in buildings, industrial processes, and infrastructure.
- Green Building Design: We need to contribute to sustainable building design by incorporating features like efficient insulation, natural lighting, and ventilation. These would reduce energy consumption and enhance indoor air quality.
- Waste Reduction and Recycling: We can develop systems for waste reduction and recycling in construction and industrial processes.
- Transportation Planning: Ensure we design transportation systems that encourage the use of public transportation, cycling, and walking. Striving to reduce traffic congestion and emissions.
- Climate Resilience: Our infrastructure design should withstand the impacts of climate change, such as increased flooding and extreme weather events.
- Environmental Compliance: We ensure projects adhere to environmental regulations and standards.
- Community Engagement: The local communities should be engaged during the early stages of projects the align with local needs and values.
- Innovation and Research: We should share and contribute to research and development of new technologies and practices.
- Continuous Improvement: We advocate for ongoing monitoring and improvement of projects to enhance their sustainability performance.
By applying their technical expertise and creative problem-solving skills, we feel strongly that we play a pivotal role in creating a more sustainable and resilient future.
Talk to us!
If you’re interested in discussing how we can assist you with your upcoming project, we welcome you to reach out to us. We’re here to explore the ways in which our expertise can contribute to the success of your endeavor.
If you want further information on sustainbilty in engineering and construction we recommend taking a look at BREEAM – https://bregroup.com/products/breeam/